I can vouch for MeetUp as well. It's actually a very cool model. They
provide free tools for people to self-organize and publicize their
meetups on any topic. The only catch is that you have to choose from
their list of approved venues, which includes many coffee shops, bars,
book stores and restaurants in the Twin Cities. They make most of their
money by charging the venues to be listed.

And yeah, it was the primary grassroots organizing tool -- besides his
official blog -- for Howard Dean's (not John Dean) presidential
campaign.

I agree with Tim that it'd be a good tool for TCWUG, because (a) its
search and listing tools could help us to attract new members, and (b)
its simple auto-reminder emails could help boost turnout among our core
membership.

--
Leif Utne
Online Senior Editor, Utne Magazine